April 20, 2012

Just carryin' on an old family tradition...

I went back to NY for a visit last weekend and my mom gave me this little guy:
I was so excited! This little swan ring holder has been somewhat of a tradition in my family for the past 25 to 30 years. It started when my mom's co-worker gave her one as an engagement gift. My mom then gave one to each of her nieces (my cousins) when they each got engaged. Not quite the same tradition Hank Jr. was referring to, but still a pretty good one nonetheless.


The swans are not actually available from Lenox anymore, but with a little help from my Aunt Jeannie, my mom was able to track one down on eBay for me!

It has now made it's home on my bathroom counter and I use it to keep my ring safe every time I take a shower. It means a lot to me to be part of this tradition. As a little girl I idolized my cousins (still do!) and wanted to be just like them when I grew up, especially when I became a bride myself. 

My mom definitely wins the prize for best mother of the bride ever! I cannot thank her enough for everything she has done for me and everything she is doing to help me with the wedding, even from 1,800 miles away. Did I mention she bought my dress for me?! Thanks Mom, I love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment